4/1/09

Eric Deeter Fine Art

I came across this painting, Moonrise, Noorvik, Alaska while searching for information on Noorvik. It's a watercolor by Eric Deeter, who I found has many other interesting Alaskan-themed pieces, a few of which I have included here. He describes this above painting as, "A springtime full-moonrise evening, above the Arctic Circle in the Eskimo village where our son started school."
This next watercolor by Deeter, titled Papa Joe is of "Inupiat elder, Joe Field, enjoying a warm cup of tea on the trail. The pleasant bitterness of the warm drink mimics the richness of a wilder life he is savoring." I found this painting of the Inupiat elder especially intriguing.
Blueberry Hill, Noorvik, Alaska is an acrylic on hardboard by Deeter. "Frost heave animates the wooden grave markers on an arctic morning, seeming to symbolize the waking dead below." Maybe I'll come across this area when I get to Noorvik.
Click on the title of this blog to access Eric Deeter's website.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these, Rebecca. I was not aware of Deeter's work. It's always nice to have your life enriched a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rebecca,
    I am sending you this message from Paeroa, New Zealand on a warm autumn evening. Outside temp. is about 15 degrees C. or 59-60 degrees F.We are 21 hours ahead of your time (it is now 11pm on April 4th) My friend Ute sent me a message from Kaktovik and I picked up your name from that. Would you or your students like to know more about New Zealand?
    Regards and best wishes,
    Mike Cotter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Rebecca,
    I probably confused you with the time of the previous message. It is actually Friday 3rd April here- not 4th. I lost track of the days of the week for a few moments when I was writing the message. Sorry.
    Regards,
    Mike Cotter.

    ReplyDelete